The Churn Dash block is one of my favorite quilt blocks and cutting the pieces out with the AccuQuilt GO! Big Churn Dash die is fast and easy.
I’m Connie Campbell from Freemotion by the River and I have another fun tutorial for you! I thought it would be fun to show how you can use the pieces from the Churn Dash die and come up with an entirely new design.
Churn Dash Medallion Tutorial
24" x 24"
GO! Fabric Cutter:
GO! Cutting Dies:
- 1/2 yard white batik
- 1/2 yard Pink batik (this includes the binding)
- 1 Fat Quarter Green batik
- 1 Fat Quarter Dark Red batik
- 1 yard backing and batting
I am using Island Batik fabrics from the Cherry Berry collection. The wonderful thing about using batiks is that both sides usually look the same.
- Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance.
Cutting Instructions using the GO! Big 12" Churn Dash die:
- Cut 8 – Pink Half Square Triangles (HST)
- Cut 16 – Dark Red Half Square Triangles (HST)
- Cut 8 – White Half Square Triangles (HST)
- Cut 8 - Green Squares
- Cut 16 – Pink Rectangles
- Cut 16 – White Rectangles
The GO! Big Churn Dash die can be used for all types of designs. The die is divided into sections.
The next photo shows how I cut the dark red HSTs.
I cut the fabric 5 1/2" wide by the width of the fabric and laid the fabric over the half square triangle section of the die. Do this for the white and pink HSTs and also for the green squares and the pink and white rectangles.
Sew the half square triangles together.
- Make 8 white/pink units
- Make 8 white/dark red units
Sew the rectangles together.
- Make 16 white/pink units
- Lay out the units to make a block like the photo below with the green square in the middle.
- Sew together - this will make a 12 1/2" unfinished block.
- Make 4 blocks.
Arrange the 4 blocks as shown in the photo below and sew together.
Add your batting and backing and quilt as desired. Cut your binding with the 2 1/2" strip cutter die.
I did a simple free-motion design using a beige Aurifil thread that blended well with all of the fabrics.
If you would like to make this table topper in a smaller size, try the 9" Churn Dash die for an 18" x 18" table topper.
I hope you have enjoyed the Churn Dash Medallion tutorial made with the AccuQuilt GO! Fabric Cutter and GO! dies. If you are looking for more ideas you might enjoy some of my previous quilt tutorials.
- Cherry Berry Orange Peel Topper
- Purple Shadows Pillow Tutorial
- Rosey Applique Pillow Tutorial
- Summer Flower Table Runner Tutorial
- Chinese Forget Me Not Wall Hanging
- Harrison Rose Table Runner Tutorial
- Crystal Table Topper Tutorial
Please stop by my blog where you can sign up for my newsletter, find free easy quilt patterns, and learn more about the type of appliqué I do with my vintage 15-91 Singer sewing machine.