Hi everyone! This is Connie from Freemotion By the River doing a guest post again on the AccuQuilt blog. I've got a fast and easy scrappy baby quilt tutorial for you using the GO! Set by Edyta Sitar and a couple of other dies. You'll also find all kinds of quilting tutorials, quilt patterns and other fun things on my blog.
If you are looking for a quick baby quilt you will enjoy making this!
Scrappy Baby Quilt
Finished size is 30" x 42"
GO! Fabric Cutter:
GO! Cutting Dies:
- GO! Qube Set – by Edyta Sitar Die used: #55468 GO! Little Butterfly
- GO! 12" Qube - die used #55000 6 1/2 inch square
- GO! #55059 Square 2 1/2" Multiples
- 1/2 yard cream or assorted neutral scraps for back ground blocks
- Scraps in assorted bright batiks for butter flies and squares
- Scraps in assorted bright batiks for the 2 1/2 inch squares
- 1/8 yard brown for antennas
- 1/3 yard for binding in a med dark batik
- 1 yd backing and batting
- 2 yards Fusible Web
Cutting the blocks:
- Cut 17 - 6 1/2 squares from Cream or assorted neutrals for the blocks.
- Cut 8" assorted squares of fabric and run them through the AccuQuilt GO! fabric cutter for a good assortment of 2 1/2" squares for the 9 patch blocks you will make.
- You will use 162 - 2 1/2" squares for the baby quilt.
NOTE: Apply fusible web to the wrong side of the fabrics following instructions before cutting appliqué shapes.
- Cut 17 - butterflies in assorted colors - I cut pieces 6 1/2" square for the butter flies.
- Cut 17 - antennas from the brown batik.
Use your favorite method of appliqué to apply each butterfly to the 6 1/2" cream blocks. I used invisible thread for the free motion appliqué on the butterflies.
Keep the leftover pieces
The antennas could be embroidered on but I used a fabric pen - fast and easy!
Using a 1/4" seam allowance join the 2 1/2" blocks into 9 patch blocks. Each 9 patch block will measure 6 1/2" square.Make 18 - 9 patch blocks - join together as shown.
Sew the blocks together in rows.
Layer your backing, batting and top and quilt as desired. Cut your binding fabric into 4 - 2 1/2" strips, join together and bind your baby quilt. I did a stipple quilt pattern on the butterfly blocks and a wiggle diagonal line through the 9 patch blocks.
Here is a closeup showing the quilting and the antennas.
Remember how I cut the pieces 6 1/2" square for the butterflies - I rounded off the corners and will be using these for another fun quilt soon.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial of the scrappy butterfly baby quilt, be sure and stop by my blog where you will always find tutorials, patterns and other goodies!
The GO! Qube by Edyta Sitar is available from Signature Dealers. To find a Dealer near you, just click here.
GO! QUBE - Everything you need to get started – Just Add Fabric™
Each GO! Qube contains 8 die shapes that can easily be combined in different ways to make an endless number of block designs.
- A boxed set of 8 geometric dies that make cutting quilt blocks easy
- Finished block sizes available: 6”, 8”, 9”, 12”
- Combine shapes to make 72 block designs
- Dies come packaged in a self-contained case for easy storage
- Cutting mat
- 13 block patterns
- Getting Started DVD
Just Add Fabric!™