Hey Accuquilters! It's Lori from Lori Miller Designs sharing this adorable holiday project - a Santa Mitten Tree Skirt and matching stockings. As soon as that cute little mitten die came out, I couldn’t wait to use it. It is the perfect addition to any holiday decor!
I used a bright red fabric print for the mitten, fuzzy felt for the cuff and a sparkly white for the snowflake making up the cutest Santa mitten around.
Santa Mitten Tree Skirt Directions
For the Santa Mitten Tree Skirt, I used the GO! Mitten die, a GO! Square 8 ½” unfinished, Shape #1 and #3 from a GO! Qube 8" Mix & Match set, and the side setting triangles for an 8” block.
This tree skirt finishes at 64” x 64”.
- GO! Mitten Die (55564)
- GO! Square 8 ½” (55058)
- GO! Qube Mix & Match 8" Block (55776)
- GO! Square-4 1/2" (4" Finished) (55708) (Shape #1)
- GO! Half Square Triangle-4" Finished Square (55710) (Shape #3)
- GO! Setting Triangles – 8” Finished (55551)
Fabrics for Tree Skirt
- Red– 3/4 yd each
- Green Tree Print – 1 yd
- Green blender print – 2 yd
- Sparkle fabric for snowflake – ¼ yd
- Fluffy White felt for mitten cuff – ¼ yd
- Fusible web – 1 yd
- Binding: Red and White stripe 1/2 yd
- Batting” 66” x 66”
- Backing 4 yd
From Red Print
- Cut one strip 5 1/4" x width of fabric (WOF)
- Subcut 4 – Qube 8 Shape #4 QST
- Use remaining strip on next shape
- Cut two strips 5" x width of fabric (WOF)
- Subcut 20 – Qube 8 Shape #1 Squares
- Cut two strips 4 ½” x width of fabric (WOF)
- After pressing fusible web to the wrong side, subcut 8 pairs of mittens
From Green Tree Print
- Cut three strips 9 1/2" x width of fabric (WOF)
- Subcut 12 – 8 ½” squares
- Cut one strip 5" x width of fabric (WOF)
- Subcut 8 – Qube 8 Shape #1 Squares
- With leftover fabric, cut 4 tabs, 2 ½” x 3 ½”
From Green Blender Print
- Cut five strips 9 1/2" x width of fabric (WOF)
- Subcut 20 – 8 ½” squares
- Cut two strip 7" x width of fabric (WOF)
- Subcut 8 – 8” Side Setting Triangles
From White Fuzzy Wool Felt
- Cut one strip 2" x width of fabric (WOF)
- After pressing fusible web to wrong side, Subcut 16 – mitten cuffs
From White Sparkle Fabric
- Cut one strip 2 ½’" x width of fabric (WOF)
- After pressing fusible web to wrong side, Subcut 16 – Mitten snowflakes
- Binding: 1/2yd. cut into five strips with the 2 1/4 " strip cutter. I made bias binding from ½ yd from the red and white strip to make it look like a candy cane
Make the Corner Triangle Units
- Draw a diagonal line, corner to corner on the wrong side of the green 4 ½” squares.
- Place the square on the corner of the 8 ½” Square and stitch on the line.
- Trim ¼” away and press.
- Make a total of 16 units using the fabric combinations from the chart below:
8 ½” square
4 ½” square
Green Tree Print
Green Blender Print
Green Tree Print
- Sew the tree skirt in four quadrants. Each quadrant is the same.
- Start by sewing the bottom left red corner, then sew each row. Sew the rows together carefully matching seams.
- Sew the quadrants together leaving one side open. That will be the opening for the tree skirt. The center diamond is made to have room to go around the tree.
- Add your mitten applique pieces. The red and white make them look like Santa mittens. I arranged them in pairs on the points of the tree skirt.
Pro Tip: Try the free Satin stitch embroidery design from Accuquilt like I did to give them a nice finish.
- Make four tabs. Fold the 2 ½” x 3 ½” pieces in half, right sides together, and sew each side. Turn right side out and press. These will be used to hold the tree skirt opening together.
- Piece the backing to measure 68” x 68”.
- Place the batting down.
- Layer the backing face up on top of the batting.
- Finally, place the pieced tree skirt face down on top of the stack.
- Carefully arrange the skirt having the raw edges of the opening lined up and almost touching.
- Tuck in the tabs along one side spacing them out and aligning the tab raw edges with the raw edges of the opening. Carefully pin it all in place.
- Sew down the sides of the long raw edges through all layers and go around the middle opening as well using ¼” seam.
- Cut between the raw edges and trim out the center. Turn right side out and press along the stitched seams.
- Topstitch ¼” away from the edges.
Quilt the Tree Skirt
- Carefully lay out all the layers and smooth out the fabrics.
- Pin Baste or use your favorite method.
- Quilt as desired.
- Bind the tree skirt using the 2 1/4" strips to finish. I machine stitched the binding on.
- Stitch Velcro onto the tabs and the underside of the skirt to close up the tree skirt and you are finished!!
Make a Matching Set
Once you have finished the Santa Mitten Tree Skirt, why not try a few matching stockings? They are so easy to make with the GO! Stocking.
I quilted my fabric before I cut out the stocking shape. I like the added texture. The little red pom-poms just add a bit of whimsy. And of course, I added the Santa Mitten. The bright green makes it look so cheery.
Have you made another gift with the mitten die? What other holiday projects are you working on?
Cross Everything Off Your Gift List Soon
AccuQuilt released the new GO! Rising Star and GO! Tangled Star Dies on November 16, 2021. The bundles sold out within 24 hours of being released! Many products are popular as these new dies and sell quickly.
We want to make sure you get what you need this year. That's why we recommend you purchase the items you want as soon as you can when you see them in stock.
The 2021 Quilter's Gift Guide is being kept up to date with our most popular, in-stock items. Many of them are currently on sale too! Order your holiday gifts today to make sure you can cross everything off of your list this year!