Hi, quilters! It’s Amanda Harward from Larkspur Quilts. Have you tried the GO! Chimney Sweep-10" Finished Die yet? I love the traditional look of this block, but did you know that the combination of squares, rectangles, and triangles have even more possibilities using the AccuQuilt system?
My Variations of the Chimney Sweep Block
Let’s start with the original block. When assembling this block, you piece the diagonal rows and then sew them together to make a square block. The traditional chimney sweep block finishes at 10", but you have so many ways of creating different versions of it and use up scraps or trade with friends to make a pieced project!
The edge Shapes D and E are the same as the traditional block, but instead of using Shape B, use more of Shape C and A.
1. Start out by sewing three of Shape C and three of Shape D into a triangle as shown. Make four C/D units.
2. Sew a C/D unit to either side of Shape A. Add Shape E on the short side of Shape A. Make two C/D/A/E units.
3. Pin and sew the short ends of two Shape A’s to either side of Shape C as shown above. Then, sew two of Shape E to the ends of Shape A to make a row.
4. Pin and sew one C/D/A/E unit to the top and bottom of row E/A/C/A/E row. This block also finishes to 10”.
Option B: The Roman Cross Block
This one is very close to option A, but the X appears to be below the other pieces. Additionally, The aqua and purple corners are pieced just like the traditional chimney sweep block, but the center and the orange corners are slightly different.
1. Start by making a 9-patch block using nine pieces of shape C.
2. Pin and sew one shape D to either side of shape C. Add Shape E to the third side as shown. Make four of the C/D/D/E corner.
3. Pin and sew one Shape A to opposite sides of the 9-patch block.
4. Sew one C/D/D/E corner to each Shape A as shown above.
5. Sew one short side of Shape D to either side of (aqua) Shape A. Sew the C/D/D/E corner to the long side of Shape D/A/D.
6. Pin and sew Shape D/A/D with C/D/D/E corner to open the sides of 9-patch block. This block also finishes to 10”.
Option C: 5" Finished Block
You can also make a smaller chimney sweep block using the GO! Mix & Match 5" Block.
1. Pin and sew one Shape D to either side of one Shape C. Add Shape E to the third side of Shape C to make a C/D/D/E corner.
2. Pin and sew one Shape E to each short end of Shape A to make the row E/A/E.
3. Sew the C/D/D/E corner to the top and bottom of row E/A/E. This will make one 5” finished block.
You can also use these instructions to create the traditional 10" finished size using the GO! Qube Mix & Match 10" Block!
GO! Think Outside of the Box
The GO! Chimney Sweep-10" Finished Die is a great Block on Board (BOB) Die because the basic shapes work so well together. Add in your own fabric and color placement (GO! Quilt can help you with this), and you can create even more variations.
If you make your own version of a chimney sweep block, please share the photo on social media using the hashtag #AccuQuiltBuilt, and don't forget to tag @larkspurquilts and @AccuQuilt so that we can see your variation!