Hi AccuQuilt friends! It's Melanie Call and did you know February 20th is National Love Your Pet Day? Many of us love our furry (or feathery) friends, so it's not surprising there is an entire day dedicated to honoring our pets. What better way to celebrate than with this GO! Scottie Dog Crazy Quilt Mug Rug!
Now you can be happily reminded about your sweet four-legged (or winged) friends while you are at work or quilting (or if super lucky BOTH)!
What I love about this project is that it is quick to make and perfect for scraps! Plus, the GO! Scottie Dog Crazy Quilt Mug Rug would make a great gift! This design uses two brand new AccuQuilt dies:
- GO! Scottie Dog which includes FREE embroidery designs to stitch your puppy perfectly.
- GO! Crazy Quilt 6" Finished Die. This die fits a 10" fabric square perfectly or you can use scraps!
More of a cat person or do you have a whole herd of pets? Check out AccuQuilt's animal appliqué GO! dies for a whole lot of options, like the GO! Gingham Dog (55064), GO! Calico Cat (55065) or GO! Bird (55352) dies.
Ready to start making your own GO! Scottie Dog Crazy Quilt Mug Rug (6" x 12"). Warning! Once you make one...you might need to make 5. ;)
- AccuQuilt GO! Scottie Dog (55224)
- AccuQuilt GO! Crazy Quilt 6" Finished (55226)
- AccuQuilt GO! or AccuQuilt GO! Big Fabric Cutter
- Fabric Scraps: Use your stash OR if your are making five GO! Scottie Dog Crazy Quilt Mug Rug projects, ten 10" fabric squares. I used Moments Collection and Blossom Collection by Riley Blake Designs.
- One 2½" strip x WOF for binding. I used Gray Swiss Dots by Riley Blake Designs
- Batting Scrap 10” x 16”
- Backing Fabric 10” x 16"
- Fusible 6" x 6" Heat N Bond Lite
- Tiny ribbon for the Scottie dog bow - optional
- AccuQuilt GO! Strip Cutter 2½" (2" Finished) (55014 or 55017) for binding
1. GO! Scottie Dog
- Adhere fusible to wrong side of 6" x 6" fabric square per fusible manufacturer instructions.
- Cut one GO! Scottie Dog.
2. GO! Crazy Quilt 6" Finished Block - Make 2 per mug rugI wanted my crazy quilt blocks to be scrappy so I simply laid my fabric scraps over the shape I wanted and cut. That is why I LOVE that AccuQuilt dies are two-toned and labeled - it is so easy to use your scraps!
OR if that is just too crazy for you:
One 10" fabric square will cut one of each 10 shapes. If you want each shape to be a different fabric- use ten 10" fabric squares and make the extra squares into GO! Scottie Dog Crazy Quilt Mug Rugs for your friends!
- Place your fabric right side up when cutting.
- Label each piece after cut.
Block AssemblyFollow GO! Crazy Quilt 6" Finished block assembly directions (click here for larger version that is printable and easier to see). I LOVE that AccuQuilt has block assembly directions on the website! Sometimes the directions that accompany the dies become too well loved/worn or misplaced. Now I can print the block assembly directions as many times as I need!
- Make two GO! Crazy Quilt Blocks 6" Finished
- Sew Crazy Quilts Blocks together so finished size is a 6" x 12" rectangle
- Fuse per fusible manufacturer instructions GO! Scottie Dog to one GO! Crazy Quilt Block.
OPTIONAL: Use the free machine embroidery file to embroider your Scottie dog. I chose the satin embroidery stitch.
Make a mini quilt sandwich:
- Top: Mug Rug (right side up)
- Middle: Batting
- Bottom: Backing fabric (right side down)
- Quilt as desired.
I found the perfect puppy print from Moments by Riley Blake Designs for the backing.
Cut one 2½" x 42" strip of fabric and attach the binding to the mug rug with your preferred method.
Now it's time to grab your favorite drink and snack and start quilting! You know your friends are totally going to need a GO! Scottie Dog Crazy Quilt Mug Rug too! PS, did you notice the Scottie dog on the pink fabric is right by the appliquéd GO! Scottie Dog?
Thank you so much reading my tutorial. I can't wait to see your amazing GO! Scottie Dog Crazy Quilt Mug Rug too! Be sure to share your project with me and AccuQuilt. Tag me @abitofscrapstuff and @AccuQuilt on Instagram and always hashtag #AccuQuilt so we can see your projects! Give us a follow while you're there and you'll be the first to know what we're making.