Free Table Runner Project Instructions
This table runner finishes at 12 ½” x 36 ½”.
- GO! Qube Mix & Match 6" Block (55775)
- GO! Square-3 1/2" (3" Finished) (55006) (Shape 1)
- GO! Square-2" (1 ½" Finished) (55702) (Shape 2)
- GO! Half Square Triangle-3" Finished Square (55703) (Shape 3)
- GO! Quarter Square Triangle-3" Finished Square (55704) (Shape 4)
- GO! Rectangle-2" x 3 ½" (1 ½" x 3" Finished) (55158) (Shape 8)
- GO! Qube 12" Companion Corners Set
- GO! Bowtie-6" Finished Square (Shape 11.1)
- GO! Half Square Triangle-1 1/2" Finished Square (Shape 12.1)
- GO! Strip Cutter - 2 ¼" (1 ¾" Finished) Strip Die (55053)
- 3 different golden yellow prints – ¼ yd each
- Dark Brown print 1/4 yd
- Green Print scrap - Min 10" square
- Binding: ½ yd
- Batting” 15” x 40”
- Backing ½ yd
From each Yellow print
- Cut one strip 4 ¾" x width of fabric (WOF)
- Sub-cut 8 – Shape 3 HST
- Sub-cut 8 – Shape 4 QST
- Sub-cut 4 – Shape 2 Squares
Green Fabric Scrap
- Cut 12 – Shape 2 Squares
- Cut 2 – 4” strips, sub-cut into 12 - Shape 1 Squares
- Cut 3 – 4 ½” x WOF strips
- Sub-cut 12 - Shape 2 Squares
- Sub-cut 12 - Shape 8 Rectangles
- Sub-cut 24 - Shape 4 QST
- Binding: ½ yd. cut into three strips with the 2 ¼" strip cutter.
The table runner has three sunflower blocks.
For Each Block
Make the center of the sunflower.
Mark a diagonal line on the wrong side of a yellow print shape 2 square. Place the yellow square, RST, on one corner of the brown print Shape 1 square. Stitch on the marked line.
Trim 1/4" away and press. Repeat for all four brown print centers with the remaining yellow squares.
Pro Tip: If you have the GO! Qube 12" Companion Corners, you can use the GO! Bowtie and 1 1/2" HST, Shapes 11.1 and 12.1 to cut out the center of the sunflower.
Make the sunflower petals. There are two sets of four petals that are a mirror image of each other. Piece them together with the #4 background QST, #3 yellow print HST and #4 yellow print QST.
Make the four corners of the block. Using the #2 background square, #8 background rectangle and the #2 green square, piece the sections.
Assemble them into the sunflower. Arrange the pieces as shown.
Sew them into four - four patch sections.
Then sew all of the sections together to finish the sunflower block.
Make a total of three sunflowers.
Assemble the Table Runner
Sew the sunflowers together in a row to form the table runner top. Carefully match seams.
Make a quilt sandwich of the backing, batting and table runner top.
Quilt as desired. I used a crosshatch design in the center and then echoed petal shapes through the flower. i did some matchstick free motion quilting in the background. Don't you love the texture?
Here is a view of the back so you can see the detail.
Bind using the 2 ¼" strips to finish. I just machine stitched the binding on.
The perfect compliment to this Cheery Sunflower table runner, are my Oatmeal Sunflower seed cookies. These chewy cookies are loaded with sunflower seeds and good for you oatmeal for a sunny day treat!
Oatmeal Sunflower Seed Cookies
Makes 2-3 dozen.
- 1 C Butter, softened
- 1 C Sugar
- 1 C Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 ½ C All Purpose Flour
- ½ C Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 C Old fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 C flaked Coconut (Optional)
- 1 C Sunflower seeds, toasted
- In a mixing bowl , cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy; add eggs and vanilla. Stir together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the oats, coconut, and sunflower kernels.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 8 - 11 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned around the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool for about 1 minute on the cookie sheet, then move cookies to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Enjoy Your Table Runner!
Grab your fabrics and a sunflower cookie and get started on this delightful sunny table runner. It works up fast and you will have those sunny faces brightening your home in no time. Won't you share your version? Please share and tag AccuQuilt and Lori Miller Designs on Facebook and @AccuQuilt and @lorimillerdesigns on Instagram.