Greetings fellow quilters and sewists! My name is Belinda Karls-Nace and I'm a quilting and needlework designer, creator, finisher, and teacher (and the author of the Samplings from a Blue Ribbon Girl blog). Today I am back as a guest blogger to talk all about the GO! Ohio Star-12" Finished (BOB™) die.
Recently, one of my customers sent me five assorted college football fabrics and asked me to make a quilt for her husband - she left the design up to me. Since the fabrics were all Ohio State, I thought the Ohio Star block would be perfect for the design. I decided to alternate Ohio Star blocks and Nine Patch blocks to create a good size throw/lap quilt. Since we are quickly headed toward football season, I thought I would share pattern details for my "All-Star Team Quilt" with you, so you can make one of your very own.
This is a great quilt for those new to the AccuQuilt GO!, as it only uses three cutting dies...yep, that's right, this quilt was made with just three dies for easy quilt blocks. ALL of the easy quilt blocks were made with the GO! Ohio Star-12" Finished die...you heard me correctly...all 25 blocks were made with just one BOB™ die. BOB™ stands for "Block on Board"...that means, all the shapes needed to make a particular quilt block are included on one die board!
I chose to use four of the Ohio State printed fabrics, a coordinating gray fabric, and a coordinating black fabric for the quilt top...and the fifth Ohio State printed fabric for the backing. The fabrics have been modified for the tutorial, so you can easily substitute your favorite team fabrics.
So, let's get to the particulars...
All-Star Team Quilt
Finished Size: 68" x 68"
Red - 1½ yards
Red Polka Dot - ½ yard
Gray - 2¼ yards
Gray Polka Dot - ½ yard
White - 1¼ yard
Black - 1 yard
Backing Fabric - 74" x 74"
Batting - 74" x 74"
GO! Ohio Star-12" Finished (55174)
Red Polka Dot—5
Gray Polka Dot—4
GO! Ohio Star-12" Finished (55174)
4 1/2"W x 2 3/8"H Quarter Square Triangles (QST)
Red Polka Dot—40
Gray Polka Dot—32
GO! Strip Cutter-4½" (4" Finished) (55054)
4½" Strip x WOF
GO! Strip Cutter-2" (1½" Finished) (55025 or 55164)
2" Strip x WOF (Binding)
1. Layout four gray 4½" squares and five white 4½" squares to create a Nine Patch Block. Pin and sew Nine Patch Block using ¼" seams. Make 12 blocks.
2. Layout four gray 4½" squares, one red 4½" square, eight red quarter square triangles (QST), four black QST, and four gray QST to create an Ohio Star Block. Pin and sew Ohio Star Block using ¼" seams. Make four blocks.
3. Layout four gray 4½" squares, one red polka dot 4½" square, eight red polka dot QST, four black QST, and four gray QST to create an Ohio Star Block. Pin and sew Ohio Star Block using ¼" seams. Make five blocks.
4. Layout four gray 4½" squares, one gray polka dot 4½" square, eight gray polka dot QST, four black QST, and four gray QST to create an Ohio Star Block. Pin and sew Ohio Star Block using ¼" seams. Make four blocks.
5. Layout the blocks in five rows of five, using the quilt diagram as a guide. Pin and sew blocks into five rows, pressing seams in alternate directions for each row. Pin and sew five row units together, pressing seams toward added rows.
6. Add red side border strips, pressing seams toward border strips. Add red top and bottom border strips, pressing seams toward border strips.
7. Layer batting between quilt top and backing. Pin or baste layers. Quilt as desired.
8. Add black binding, mitering corners.
I hope my guest blog post will entice and inspire you to make an "All-Star Team Quilt" of your very own.... and just think, if you start now it will be ready to enjoy this fall football season.
I would be thrilled if you visited me via my blog, website, or social media - stop by for a friendly visit - I always enjoy meeting new virtual quilting friends...and if you make an "All-Star Team Quilt", I would LOVE to see your version!