Batik Qube Sampler Quilt

Apr 7, 2016 9:00:00 AM / by Bea Lee

Hi, it's Bea from Beaquilter again! I'm here to show a modern sampler quilt made in Batiks from Island Batik using the GO! Qube Mix & Match 8" Block set, the GO! Tulip die, 2 1/2" strip die. I started off with 1/2 yard each of 4 different batiks, then 1 1/2 yard orange batik for sashing and another 1 1/4 yard for the outer border plus 1/2 yard for binding. I also used some Heat n Bond for the appliqué and matching thread. (I used scraps for the back - you'll see at the end of this post.)

 

The finished quilt is 52" x 62". This is my sketch in EQ. All the blocks are in the Qube set, either in the pattern book or loose leaf with each die.

 

sampler sketch

 

Supplies:

GO! Qube Mix & Match 8" Block Set

GO! Tulip

GO! Strip Cutter-2 1/2"

GO! Fabric Cutter (all GO! cutters are compatible with the GO! Qube 8")

 

The batiks I used for the blocks were a #1floral, #2 a dark pink,#3 a turquoise and #4 a teal with leaves

sampler2

Then the cutting began!!

If I counted correctly (and wrote it down correctly too) this is what I cut out

(Shape numbers are how they are in the Qube set)

Color #1 floral

shape 1= 3pcs, shape 2 = 14, shape 3 = 12, shape 4 =16, shape 5=52, shape 6=1

Color #2 dark pink

Shape 1=2, shape 2=14, shape 3=4, shape 4=8, shape 5=48, shape 6=2

Color #3 Turquoise

Shape 1=0, shape 2=4, shape 3=6, shape 4=8, shape 5=96, shape 6=4, shape 7=4

Color #4 teal leaves

Shape 1=4, shape 2=18, shape 3=4, shape 4=16, shape 5=36, shape 6=0, shape 8=4

(I had to move and change a few colors around as I went along as I was running low on one fabric, but these numbers should match my finished quilt)

I made sure to cut the biggest pieces first!

sampler1

sampler3

then I had all of them cut out and neatly stacked :)

sampler 4

Then I sewed together all 20 blocks, this one was the easiest

sampler5

this one was around medium

sampler6

Not that any of them were hard and it was GREAT that the dog ears were cut off from any triangle units so they always ended up being perfect squares!

sampler7

Here are all the blocks, from easiest to hardest (or the order they finished)

I think they turned out very interesting because the floral batik and the one with leaves had so much variation in them that sometimes if the fabrics touched there was higher contrast and sometimes not so high, that's what I think makes it very modern looking!?

sampler9

I then used the 2 1/2" strip die and orange batik and cut out 2 1/2" strips for the sashing and inner border.

Using the tulip die and leftover scraps I ironed heat n bond onto the scraps and cut out pieces for 4 tulips.

sampler10

I cut out 4 x 51/2" squares of orange batik and ironed the tulips in the corners, making sure to have MORE than 1/4" space left for seam allowance.

sampler11

each tulip looks so different because of the variation in the batik fabric- LOVE it!

sampler12

I button hole stitched around the shapes with a contrasting pink thread.

sampler18

I added a 5 1/2" border to fit and used the tulip blocks in the corners, then quilted it and bound it.

sampler17

Here's a close up of the quilting, I did basic curves on the blocks and a loopy chain on the sashing and feathers with pebbles on the outer border.

sampler14

and here's the backing, I used some leftover batiks and a "sort of" matching yellow and orange printed fabric I was just tired of looking at - I love to use scraps for backings, then I don't feel bad about using "ugly" fabrics or a fabric that wasn't just right when I got it or I had planned for something else but then didn't use it :)

sampler15

Thanks for looking, hope you liked the sampler!

I'd love to see it if you make a sampler like this too!!

Topics: GO! Project Tutorials

Bea Lee

Written by Bea Lee

SUBSCRIBE TO BLOG UPDATES

Lists by Topic

see all

Posts by Topic

See all

Recent Posts