Hi everyone! It's Erin from House on Hill Road with another great super-sized quilt block made using the GO! Qube Mix & Match 12" Block. This month I took the traditional Ohio Star block and made it big - 18" finished to be exact! I turned my block into a fun throw pillow, but just like with the supersized Churn Dash, sewing a handful of blocks will get you a throw-sized quilt top in no time.
Supersized Ohio Star Block
Finished Size: 18 inch block
(Die #1 – 6” square and Die #4 – Quarter Square Triangle 6″ finished)
Three fabrics: chambray for the background, floral for star points and navy print for inner star
Here's how to supersize the Ohio Star:
1. Using Die #1 - 6" square, cut (1) square of the floral for the center of your block and (4) squares of the chambray for the background of your block.
2. Using Die #4, cut (8) quarter square triangles from the floral fabric for the star points, (4) quarter square triangles from the chambray for the background and (4) quarter square triangles from the navy print for the inner star.
3. Layout the quarter square triangle unit, making certain that the floral quarter square triangles are opposite each other. First sew the triangles in pairs. Press the seams towards the floral fabric. Sew the two pairs together to form the completed unit. Press the seam in one direction. Repeat with the remaining quarter square triangles to yield (4) total quarter square triangle units.
4. Layout the pieces of your block ensuring that the star points are oriented in the correct direction.
5. Sew the pieces of the block into three rows. Press the seams towards the squares.
6. Sew the rows together to form the block.
Instead of making more blocks for a quilt top, I decided to make my block into a 22" throw pillow. To do that, I sewed a 2 1/2'' x 18 1/2'' strip to the top and bottom of the block and pressed the seams towards the strips. Next, I sewed a 2 1/2" x 22 1/2" strip to the each side of the block, pressing the seams towards the strips. After quilting the pillow front, I added a back with a zipper. To finish it off, I bound it in the navy print. I just love how it turned out!
I hope you enjoy making your own supersized Ohio Star. I'll see you back here next month....there's more supersizing on the horizon!
The GO! Qube Mix & Match 12" Block includes eight GO! Dies, two cutting mats, an instructional DVD, PLUS a FREE 20-page pattern booklet which includes 14 Mix & Match block patterns.
GO! Dies included (with quilt shape number)
- GO! Square-6 1/2" (6" Finished)
- GO! Square-3 1/2" (3" Finished)
- GO! Half Square Triangle-6" Finished Square
- GO! Quarter Square Triangle-6" Finished Square
- GO! Half Square triangle-3" Finished Square
- GO! Square on Point-4 3/4" (4 1/4" Finished)
- GO! Parallelogram 45°-3 11/16" x 4 15/16" (3" x 4 1/4" Finished)
- GO! Rectangle-3 1/2" x 6 1/2" (3" x 6" Finished)