Twirling Windmills has to be one of the easiest and fastest quilts to make when you cut your batik fabrics with a AccuQuilt GO! Big fabric cutter. This quilt block reminds me of all of the turbo windmills we have here in Iowa. I'm Connie Campbell from Freemotion by the River and I have a fun tutorial for you!
Real quick, here is a video with another fun Spinning Windmill Quilt you might love and it's filled with a ton of great tips about how to use a GO! Qube Mix & Match Block.
Twirling Windmills Quilt finishes at 36″ x 54″, it would be very easy to make this quilt larger or smaller. The finished quilt block size is 12".
GO! Fabric Cutter: You can use all of them
- GO! Fabric Cutter (55100S)
- GO! Big Electric Fabric Cutter (55500)
- AccuQuilt Studio (50450) with the proper adapter
GO! Cutting Dies:
- 2 yards light batik for back ground
- ½ yard medium teal batik
- 1 yard dark teal batik (this includes ½ yard for binding)
- 2 yards backing fabric
Cutting the blocks:
- Cut 96 light batik rectangles with the #55724 rectangle die.
- Cut 96 light batik half rectangles with the #55411 half rectangle die.
- Cut 48 medium batik half rectangles with the #55411 half rectangle die.
- Cut 48 dark batik half rectangles with the #55411 half rectangle die.
I am using batik fabrics from Island Batik, from the Sea Shore collection. The wonderful thing about using batiks is that both sides look the same.
- Sew with a ¼" seam allowance.
- Follow the diagram below to help piece your blocks.
- It is so easy to match the pieces with the dog-eared corners.
Lay out the four sections for each blocks as shown below and then sew together. You have made your first block!
Originally I was going to make a Twirling Windmills crib quilt but I had so much fun making the blocks that I decided to make a larger quilt.
Make 24 Twirling Windmills Blocks
- Layout your quilt with 6 rows of 4 blocks alternating the medium teal and dark teal blocks.
- Layer your backing and batting - quilt as desired.
- I did free motion stipple quilting using Aurifil thread in a medium teal color.
- Cut your binding strips 2½" using the AccuQuilt GO! 2½" Strip Cutter die.
- Join the strips, press in half and sew to the front of the quilt.
- Finish your binding by machine or by hand.
I hope you have enjoyed the fast and easy Twirling Windmills tutorial made with the AccuQuilt GO! Fabric Cutter and GO! dies. If you are looking for more ideas for using the GO! Qube Mix & Match 12 inch Block (55778) and the GO! 12 Inch Companion Set you might enjoy some of my previous quilt tutorials.
- Winter Blues Table Runner
- Purple Shadows Pillow Tutorial
- Rosey Applique Pillow Tutorial
- Summer Flower Table Runner Tutorial
- Chinese Forget Me Not Wall Hanging
- Harrison Rose Table Runner Tutorial
- Crystal Table Topper Tutorial
Please stop by my blog where you can sign up for my newsletter, find free easy quilt patterns, and learn more about the type of appliqué I do with my vintage 15-91 Singer sewing machine.