Are you looking for a fast and easy quilt project to use up some of the fabrics you have in your stash? This is the perfect baby quilt to make using the AccuQuilt GO! 8" Qube and Companion Angle set. Hi everyone, this is Connie Kresin Campbell from Freemotion by the River and I have another fun tutorial for you.
Scrappy Batik Baby Quilt
28" x 38"
You'll enjoy this cute baby quilt that is made with scraps of colorful leftover batiks and a batik background fabric.
GO! Fabric Cutter:
GO! Cutting Dies:
- 1 yard of a neutral batik fabric
- Scraps or fat quarters of bright batiks
- 1/3 yd of fabric for binding
- 1 yard flannel for backing
- Cut two strips 5½" x width of fabric - sub-cut the 2½" square die (2) twelve times for a total of 48 blocks.
- Cut one strip 5½" x width of fabric - sub-cut the Triangle in Square Sides die (14) twenty four times for a total of 48 half square rectangles.
- Cut two strips 3½" x width of fabric - sub-cut the Half Square Triangle 2" finished square die (5) twenty four times for a total of 48 half square triangles.
Now pull out your batik scraps!
- Each block uses 4 different colors - you will need one Half Square Triangle 2" finished square and one Triangle in a Square side of each color.
- Making one cut as shown below.
- You'll have two sections of the same color that you can mix and match in the blocks.
Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance. Sew all of the Half Square Rectangles the same way following the diagram below.
Because we are using batiks you don't have to worry about the right or wrong side. (If you use a fabric with a right/wrong side you will need to cut double the amount of pieces).
Each block uses four 2½" squares, four Half Square triangle blocks and four Half Rectangle blocks.
Layout the sections of the block and sew together following the diagram below. Make twelve blocks which each measure 8½" square.
Make 12 blocks for the scrappy batik baby quilt.
Use the GO! Strip Cutter 2 1/2″ (55017) to cut 2½" strips the WOF for the sashing that goes between the blocks.
- Sub-cut - eight 2½" x 8½" pieces
- Sub-cut - three 2½" x 28" pieces.
- Add the 2½" x 8½" pieces between the blocks in the four rows as shown below.
- Add the three 2½" x 28" pieces between the rows.
Add batting and backing and quilt as desired. I usually do a fairly large stipple quilt design on a baby quilt.
Cut 2½" binding in your choice of batiks and add to the finished scrappy batik baby quilt.
I hope you have enjoyed this fast and easy Scrappy Batik Baby Quilt made with the AccuQuilt GO! Fabric Cutter and the new GO! Qube Companion Angles dies.
Please stop by my blog Freemotion by the River where you can sign up for my newsletter, find free easy quilt patterns for more projects and other goodies.